Dr. Mizell named North campus natural sciences department chair

Dr. Kelly Mizell, center, works on a class project with students.

Congratulations to Dr. Kelly Mizell, biology professor at the North campus, who was recently named natural sciences department chair for the North campus.

Dr. Mizell graduated from Lufkin High School and attended Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches. At SFA, she earned a BA degree in marketing and management, and a MS in biological sciences. She also holds a doctorate degree in wildlife and fisheries sciences from Texas A&M University.

After graduation from A&M, she was a wildlife biologist in Florida. “I was very homesick for Texas and moved back to Texas in 2001, where I took a position as an honors biology teacher in Pasadena ISD until January, 2006,” she commented.

Dr. Mizell began with San Jacinto College in 2004 as an adjunct biology instructor at the Central campus. In 2006 she became a full-time biology professor at the North campus. She served as vice president of the North campus faculty organization from 2006 through 2008 and is currently serving as the faculty organization president. Dr. Mizell has attained Distinguished Faculty, Level 2 status, and serves on the Faculty Performance Management Task Force and the General Education Task Force.

Dr. Mizell says the love of her life is her 2-year-old son, Aidan. “We have three wonderful dogs, Mac, Mickey and Minnie, that were strays that wandered into my life,” she said. “My parents, Arvel and Jean Mizell, live in Lufkin, and my sister, Tammy, is a teacher with Goose Creek ISD.”

Even with her new duties as department chair, Dr. Mizell will continue to teach general biology, as well as the Honors Academy general biology class, which is a class of ninth-grade students from Galena Park ISD.

As department chair, Dr. Mizell will work with natural sciences faculty and staff to improve student engagement and understanding. “I feel my primary responsibility is to ‘infect’ our students with a passion for science that they will carry to their family and friends,” she commented. “I am very honored and excited to be entrusted with this role. This is an exciting time to be at San Jacinto College. Our leaders are very forward thinking and we are blazing trails, instead of following others. I find it exhilarating to work in such an environment.”