What's a computer name and how do I locate it on my machine?
<<< Return to Computers Page
A computer name is a unique identifier that is given to each computer and is used by ITS to locate and connect to a computer in order to perform routine maintenance, as well as provide remote technical assistance. Computer names are also required for those employees who wish to remote into their office machine from another location; such as from home.
All computer names are set up in a standard format that contains location and identifying information. You can locate the computer name of a PC by completing the following steps:
- On the desktop, right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties from the menu that appears.
- Click on the Computer Name tab in the dialog box that appears.
- The computer name will be listed in the Full Computer Name field.
- On the desktop, right-click the Computer icon and select Properties from the menu that appears.
- In the dialog box that appears, the full computer name can be located in the Computer Name, Domain, and Workgroup Settings section.
- Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Click on the Sharing pane.
- Locate the computer name on the Sharing screen.