Office 365 Migration – What to Expect
Starting the evening of May 22nd, San Jacinto College will be making the switch to Office 365. Email will be unavailable through the Memorial Day weekend. Office 365 is Microsoft’s cloud based service that provides email, calendaring, Office applications and other tools used to communicate and collaborate.
In order to ensure that you successfully migrate your email to Office 365, we ask that you take the following crucial steps before and after the migration:
- Please take the time between now and May 22nd, to empty out your Deleted Items folder. Instructions on how to do this can be found on the Training Resources page.
- Before you leave your office on Friday, May 22nd, please log off your computer. This will assist with speeding up the process of moving your mailbox to Office 365 and help reduce any unforeseen issues when the migration is complete.
- We recommend that you remove your employee email from your phone (personal and SJC-issued) on Friday, May 22nd, 2015. Your phone will need to be reconfigured after the migration so that your email can be accessed. Note: This does not apply to employees who are already on Office 365.
- When you return back to campus on Tuesday, May 26th, 2015, please log back on to your computer. Your Outlook client will need to recreate the mailbox, just as if you were accessing email for the very first time as an employee. Because a high number of employees will be accessing Office 365 Tuesday morning, we ask you to please be patient while your mailbox is created. You will still be able to send emails but may have to wait several minutes to a couple of hours for your mailbox to copy over all of its contents.
- For employees who need immediate access to emails, you may access Office 365 via the web.
- Employees using an email client other than Outlook, will need to contact Tech Support (x6137) after go-live to have their email set up correctly.
- Mac users will need to manually set Outlook to point to Office 365 once we go-live. Instructions on how to do this will be posted on the Training Resources page. If you need assistance accomplishing this task, please contact Tech Support (x6137).
In the next couple of days, “how-to” documents will be posted on the Training Resources page. This will include instructions on how to become familiar with the new Office 365 web interface as well as setting up Office 365 on your mobile device.
Employees needing additional assistance setting up email on their mobile device or have general questions about Office 365, are highly encouraged to stop by the Office 365 mobile support kiosk. These will be located at the ILC Open Lab Help Desks on all three campuses and room A2-108G for District employees from May 26th – May 28th between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. If you are unable to make it to one of our support kiosks during go-live week, please stop by an ITS Quick Help Session. For times and locations, please click here.
If you have any questions regarding this announcement, please visit our FAQ page at: http://sjcblogs.sanjac.edu/its/office-365/frequently-asked-questions or send your inquiries to the Customer Care Department at ITS.CustomerCare@sjcd.edu
Date Announced: Thursday, May 14, 2015