What is National Cyber Security Awareness Month?
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month which is an annual campaign to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity. The Internet touches almost all aspects of everyone’s daily life, whether we realize it or not. National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) is designed to engage and educate public and private sector partners through events and initiatives to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity, provide them with the tools and resources needed to stay online, and increase the resiliency of the Nation in the event of a cyber incident.
Under the overarching theme of ‘Own IT. Secure IT. Protect IT.’, the 16th annual National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) is focused on encouraging personal accountability and proactive behavior in security best practices, digital privacy and draw attention to careers in cybersecurity. NCSAM 2019 will address the following online safety messages and identify opportunities for behavioral change:
- Shake Up Your Passphrase Protocol: create strong, unique passphrases
- Double Your Login Protection: turn on multi-factor authentication
- Shop Safe Online
- Play Hard To Get With Strangers: how to spot and avoid phish
- If You Connect, You Must Protect: updating to the latest security software, web browser and operating systems
- Stay Protected While Connected: Wi-Fi safety
- If You Collect It, Protect It: keeping customer/consumer data and information safe