A computer’s name is a unique identifier that is given to each computer on our network. Computer names are extremely helpful to our techs when tickets are submitted to install or troubleshoot peripherals, software, and hardware. Below are instructions on how to locate the computer name on a Windows 7, Windows 10, and a Mac computer.
Windows 7: How do you find my computer’s name?
- Double-click the Computer icon on your desktop
- When the Computer window opens, you will be able to locate the computer name in the lower left hand corner.
Windows 10: How do you find my computer’s name?
- Right-click on the Start menu and then left-click on System
- When the System window opens, you will be able to obtain the computer name from the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings section.
Mac: How do you find my computer’s name?
- From the Mac Menu, select System Preferences..
- Click the Sharing preference pane
- The computer’s name is shown in the Computer Name: text box