Removing the People Pane in Outlook

The People Pane in Microsoft Outlook is a component of Outlook Social Connector that displays contact information and activity of an individual you are communicating with via email. Data for all persons included in an email, calendar meeting, or contacts list can be displayed in the People Pane to keep you up to date on tasks, as well as provide you a quick reference of emails, attachments, and meetings you have exchanged.

Click here for more information on the Outlook Social Connector.

If you would like to remove this frame from Outlook, you have two options available for doing so.

Method #1

The first method available simple turns off the People Pane so that it does not display when reviewing your emails in Outlook.

• In Outlook, click on the View tab
  • Click on People Pane
  • Select Off from the drop down menu

Method #2

The second option is to disable Outlook’s Social Connector Add-in altogether. This too will remove the People Pane from displaying.

• In Outlook, click on the File tab and then select Options.
  • In the Outlook Options dialog box that appears, select Add-Ins from the left-hand menu.
  • Click the Go button at the bottom of the screen.
  • Uncheck the box next to Microsoft Outlook Social Connector and then click on OK.

South

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in General I.T. Knowledge
15 comments on “Removing the People Pane in Outlook
  1. Joe says:

Thank you so much for your instruction and pictures. They proved very helpful. I do not have a “People Pane” and Microsoft help is, as I’d guess you already know, no help whatsoever.

Thank you again!

2. Lynne says:

I love you! Thanks so much–I got a new laptop and reinstalled office and could not find anywhere how I had turned this off before. It drove me crazy to have all of those grey people at the bottom of every email!

3. Brian says:

THANK YOU!!! I was losing my patience with the people pane. screen space is too valuable.

4. Milo says:

Thank you!!! Problem solved!

5. Alan says:

Thanks, Norberto! I was searching on Google for a way to do this, and your blog post was the first thing that came up! You have the best write-ups on how to do both stuff AND things! 😀

6. Jeff says:

Thank god I found this. The People Pane is an idiotic waste of space and why they buried the turn-off switch somewhere other than the Options menus is anybody’s guess.

7. dutchguy says:

You are my hero!
    Nothing more annoying on a small laptop than this idiotic pane.
    When i open my outlook it was even spamming me with popups of contacts that had no appointments.

Upon install Office should add the option: “I just want bloody email” xD

8. Shari Wylder says:

YES!!!! I did not have people pane and had to go to option 2. You are awesome! I was about to go crazy 🙂

9. Dana says:

Thank you so much for you help! That people pane/social connector has been the bane of my working existence, since i have never been able to figure out how to get rid of it. Microsoft has been no help whatsoever. Thanks again! Now I can work without the daily annoyance of the social connector

10. Jim says:

Thank you. I disabled social media when I installed Office 365 and now “It’s Baaack!”. I have disabled again so I guess I’ll see how long it takes MSFT to sneak it back in again.

11. Barry says:

Thank you.

12. Jan says:

Thank you! It is 2018 and this is still helpful. Drove me nuts when I would click on it by accident. :))

13. John Mathew says:

Thank you for the detailed information..