Setting up automatic replies in Outlook allows you to send automated messages to individuals who email you during those times when you are unable to respond (i.e., out of the office). Employees can utilize this feature to keep those who email them when unavailable informed of when they can expect a response or where to direct important inquiries in the interim.
Creating an automatic reply is quite simple and can be customized to provide vital information to recipients in your absence. To set up an automatic reply in Outlook 2010, simply follow these steps:
- In Outlook, click on the File tab.
- From the available options, select Automatic Replies.
- Select Send Automatic Replies.
- If you would like to automatically schedule when “Out of Office” replies are active, place a check in the box next to Only Send During This Time Range and enter a start time/end time. If you do not select this option, Outlook will continue sending replies until you access this section again and select Do Not Send Automatic Replies.
- On the Inside My Organization tab, type the response that you want to provide to whoever emails you while you are out. You can also use the available text formatting tools to further customize the message.
- On the Outside My Organization tab, place a check in the box next to Auto-Reply to People Outside My Organization and then enter a response that you wish to send while away.
- Select whether you want replies to sent to My Contacts Only (individuals in your contact list who are outside the organization) or to Anyone Outside My Organization.
- When ready, click on the OK button.