A computer’s name is a unique identifier that is given to each computer on our network. Computer names are extremely helpful to our techs when tickets are submitted to install or troubleshoot peripherals, software, and hardware. Below are instructions on how to locate the computer name on a Windows XP, Windows 7, and a MAC computer.
Windows XP: How do you find my computer’s name?
- Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop
- Select Properties
- Click on the Computer Name tab
- Look about mid-way down the wind and you will see Full Computer Name
Windows 7: How do you find my computer’s name?
- Right-click on My computer
- Left-click on Properties
- A window will pop up displaying basic information about your computer.
- In the section ‘Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings’ you will locate your computer name (as shown below).
MAC: How do you find my computer’s name?
- From the Mac Menu, select System Preferences..
- Click the Sharing preference pane
- The computer’s name is shown in the Computer Name: text box