Gulf Coast Economics Association Teaching Conference

Memphis, TN
October 21-22, 2010

By Robert Navejar

Summary:

The Gulf Coast Economics Conference is an annual conference sponsored by Cengage Publishing.  Besides introducing us to the latest editions of textbooks by some of the country’s best authors the conference also includes presentations by faculty (many of them community college faculty) on teaching techniques, software, and projects that they have used successfully in their courses.

I attended this conference for the third consecutive year because I always come home with many new teaching strategies.  The presentations are very informative, but much of the learning and sharing goes on between sessions in informal discussions with the other attendees. 

After watching a presentation on writing in economics classes, I was inspired to implement a semester-long group writing project in to my 2301 course.  One of the keynote addresses was about authentic and active learning, which inspired me to add more problem-based learning and real-world examples in my classes.  Finally, I attended a presentation on how to improve student success in distance-learning courses (always a struggle in economics) through team assignments.

About Donna.Cubstead

Central